Thursday, May 31, 2012

Bran's Adventures in Scrap Efficiency

How much are you really spending per page you make? A question I had to face a few months ago. While I love to scrappy shop, how can I justify my hobby? Yes I am creating priceless memories of our lives, but can I justify all of those cute papers, buttons, badges, stamps? My goal is to be scrap efficient. I want to challenge myself to get the most out of my kits that I purchase at Studio Calico so I am setting a minimum goal of 4 layouts per kit and add-on each month Starting with 35mm. So you can see the breakdown, I get my main kit for $29.50 because I am a subscriber. This month so far I have created 5 Layouts with my main kit. That breaks down to about $6.00 per page. To me that is a good price per page. I want to work my way down to $3.00 dollars a page. That would be 10 Layouts or 5 layouts and 10 cards using each kit.

On another note there are lines from companies like October Afternoon that I must total and figure out how to get the most out each collection. Same thing with Collections like, Abroad, Take Note, HeyDay, and more from Studio Calico. I also have my supplies list for inks, glue, ect that I separate from these totals.

Want to join me for a free accountability challenge? I will create the templates from my layouts and post them throughout the week for free. I will also keep a running tally of how many layouts per kit or collection once a week. When I get to the end I will follow scrappyjedi's "use your scraps" series to get use out of the rest of those small paper scraps. Sound Like fun? If you participate link up your layouts here :) Here are 5 LO's today to get you going. :)




Cheers!
Bran

5 comments:

  1. These are some great sketches! I need to print these out for the times I need some inspiration! I also need to start creating more - I spend way to much on my scrappy goodies to not! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I got into this place, where I spent forever on the computer looking at what everyone else was doing, and life became busy, that my kits were building up and I was having a hard time with how much I spent and the guilty thing. My hubby however encourages this avenue because he loves to look at the pages with the boys. I hope to keep them inspirational :)

      Delete
  2. these are really quite nice! I am an avid kit killer -- so I don't have that guilt. BUT, I love a good challenge. For 35mm, I bought 3 add ons and I've already made 17 pages! I'm pretty happy with that but I've still got plenty left to make. My prediction is 20 pages!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie, If that is one thing I know about you from your blog is that you kill your kits in a beautiful way :). Way to go hope you make 20 that is my general goal and maybe some card kits for gifts. :)

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea! I would love to keep myself accountable too, I just don't do that well with sketches persay.. I make two or three layouts a week, plus PL. But, I still shop at 2peas too soo....the cost isn't fixed, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! Have a Wonderful Day!