Monday, August 29, 2011

This weeks recipe from Grandma's Cookbook

Pumpkin loaves: I relied on this in particular last fall, my little bun in the oven at the time, made me crave pumpkin everything for 4 months! This one is a good one and I have all of my ingredients.

Pumpkin Loaves:

Ingredients:
2 c. Sugar                               1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. salad oil (EVOO)            1/2 tsp. double acting baking powder
3 eggs                                     1 tsp. baking soda
2 c. canned pumpkin              1 tsp. ground cloves
3 c. sifted all purpose flour    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
unbleached                             1 tsp. ground nutmeg

Directions:
Early in the Day:
1. Grease well; three 7-1/2"X3-1/2"X2-1/4" loaf pans or your choice of pans. Start heating oven to 325 degrees.
2. In bowl with electric mixer at medium speed, beat sugar and oil until blended. Next add eggs, one at a time. Beat well after each addition. Continue beating until light and fluffy and then beat in pumpkin.
3. now onto large piece of waxed paper, sift together the rest of the ingredients, With mixer at low speed, beat this flour mixture into pumpkin mixture. Divide batter among the three loaf pans and bake them 60 minutes or until cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
4. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. remove from pans and finish cooling on racks.
5. When cool, wrap each loaf in plastic wrap, foil or waxed paper.
*I think I am going to try mini loaves for this attempt. I want to give out small loaves to friends, family, and neighbors*

Grandmas Story:
When my dad's brothers came home from the war they brought the flu with them and we all got it. Dad was really sick and the doctor got him some whiskey from a bootlegger and gave him a hot toddy and this helped. I go earache with the flu and am still bothered with it. We had two nurses come in and take care of us. I also had a kidney infection and was wrapped up in mother's shawl, that saved her life on the boat coming from Denmark, and taken to the doctor.


Sewing news:
I have decided to back off of the walk-away dress, just not going to work for me. I am also picking and undoing a part of my rooibos from the all-in-one interfacing, something just doesn't look right and I want to fix it before I sew the whole thing together. That will get done well, when I feel like picking it up.
Shop news:
I am extremely busy working on new products for the shop that I hope to get up and going by the weekend. I am also planning on a Labor Day Sale!
Enjoy the rest of your Monday!
Cheers
Bran

2 comments:

  1. Hi brandy,
    We totally want to check out your vintage Barbie fashions! Do you have an Etsy shop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a an etsy shop! I haven't posted any barbie fashions just yet. I am trying to get enough made of a few before I list them. But when I do I will make a big announcement. My blog readers also get 20% off. However, for Ms. Lily, I will have something special for her! I am so proud that she sewed her first outfit! Bran in the meantime here is the link to my shop :) http://www.etsy.com/shop/BrandyLayton

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! Have a Wonderful Day!