Monday, August 22, 2011

Kick-Off to Grandma's Cookbook Cook-a-long

Here we are it is Monday and it has been a busy weekend! Now that we have successfully seen the big boy turn 8 and off to his first day of school, we can try and concentrate on the sewing room project, my sew-a-longs, fall wardrobe planning, the shop,  and yum yum the cook-a-long.

Today starts the cook-a-long for Grandma's cookbook. I have had many of these recipe's but many are new to me. This week will start off with the first of my favorites.

Grandma Clay's Peanut Butter Round-ups

Ingredients:

1 c. Soft Shortening            2 c. sifted all-purpose flour
1c. granulated sugar           1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. brown sugar                 2 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs                                 1 c. oatmeal
1 c. peanut butter

Instructions:

Beat shortening and sugars together until creamy. Add eggs and beat well. Blend in peanut butter. Sift together flour, salt and baking soda separately then add to creamed mixture, mixing well. Stir in Oats.

Roll dough to form one-inch balls; place on uncreased cookie sheet. With tines of fork, press to make criss-cross on each. (if dough sticks to fork, dip the fork into flour occasionally). Bake in preheated moderate oven (350 degrees) about 12 minutes. Makes six dozen.

The Story:

Esther Petersen Clay
I was born 16 August 1915 in Tremonton. We had gone there to help Mormor and Bestfa (mother's parents and this is Danish for grandma and grandpa) with the threshing. Mother took sick and there I was. Mother was no help. Mormor called Aunt Amelia to come over and take care of us. One day when Ruth, was entertaining us by cutting out of a catalogue, she not only cut the paper but the front of her dress. I had lots of black hair and the doctor cut out the front off before mother saw me as it hung clear down over my face. We lived in Elwood until I was five. We had a Danish woman and her two children living with us and I learned to speak Danish but I know very little now. (in1993).

to be continued...

I will post pictures of my cookies at some point this week. If you would like to join that would be great, if you bake them take a picture and leave a link in the comments, I would love to see.

2 comments:

  1. What a neat idea Bran. Do you have any photos of your Grandma's cookbook?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Idea! I do have pictures and I have baked my cookies I will hopefully get a post up tomorrow! They passed my dads memory and taste bud test!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! Have a Wonderful Day!